Mitsubishi Electric Substation Division (SSD) sells a wide variety of high performance, power electronics, based systems ranging from transmission system voltage levels of 69kV to 765kV, with typical overall ratings from 50Mvar to 800Mvar.
- Voltage control
- Mitigation of Fault-Induced Delayed Voltage Recovery (FIDVR)
- Voltage stabilization for renewables integration
- Var reinforcement due to generation retirement
- System voltage regulation improvements under varying load conditions
- Increased steady state power transfer capacity
- Improved transient stability
- System damping augmentation
- HVDC link performance improvement
- Sub-synchronous resonance mitigation
SSD has delivered numerous SVC and STATCOM systems over a wide range of capacities and voltage levels for customers throughout North America.
STATCOM System Description
Mitsubishi Electric SSD SVC-Diamond® STATCOM can help electric utilities take some of the stress off the electric power transmission grid and supply their customers with high-quality power 24/7. The primary value proposition for SSD’s STATCOM offering are the Mitsubishi Modular Multilevel Converter (MMC) building blocks that, when specifically designed for a given customer’s project, result in scalable, positive cost of ownership. This is achieved by relatively low first time cost, low long run operating costs, minimal harmonic distortions (no filters required), high transmission availability, small physical footprint and rapid speed of response.
SSD STATCOM MMC design is further differentiated when examining each MMD Cell (sub-module) that makes up any custom STATCOM installation project.
- Full-bridge IGBT (insulated-gate bipolar transistor) converter. The Mitsubishi Electric (MELCO manufactured) IGBT is the heart of the STATCOM system with over 50,000 devices manufactured since 2008, and a reputation as one of the highest quality transistors within the power industry, worldwide.
- DC Capacitors, a bypass switch, discharge resistor, gate drive boards, voltage sensor board, power supply board, gate logic board and control interface.
- Civil, electrical and structural engineering.
- Foundations, steel structures and turnkey construction services
- Testing and commissioning
- Post commission documentation and functional specifications
- Post commission training and maintenance
Coupling these technologies and the turnkey services that are associated with each customer project results in STATCOM System installations that represent both the best in physical footprint and static synchronous voltage control. In the following illustrations the dimensions of an MMC-STATCOM 5 cell x 3 ARM installation is illustrated